Parts and Diagram
Column & Base
Column likewise base This is main casting that support all other parts of milling machine. It is built of CI (cast iron).
- The column contains an oil container and a pump which lubricates the spindle.
- The column rests on the base and base contains coolant container and a pump which is used during machining operation that lack coolant.
It is a casting that supports the saddle and table. All gearing mechanism is confined within the patella.
- It is fixed to the column.
- The patella is supported and adjusted by a vertical positioning screw also called elevating screw.
- The elevating screw is used to adjust the patella to raise it up and lower it down with the help of a lever. It uses the supports of hand and also can be fulfilled with a power feed.
Power Feed Mechanism
The power feed mechanism is used to control the lengthwise ( left and right), transverse ( in and out) and vertical (up and down) feeds.
- To get the covet rate of feed on the machine, the feed selection lever is positioned as indicated on the feed collection plates.
- On some broad patella and column milling machine, the feed is obtained by turning the speed selection handle until the desired rate of feed is designated on the feed dial.
- Most of the milling machines have a rapid bisect lever that can be engaged when a temporary increase in the speed of the longitudinal, transverse or vertical feeds is required. This lever aspiring caring when the operator is arrange or harmonize the work.
It is a oblong casting which is ongoing on the top of the saddle.
- It is used to hold the work or work holding machine.
- It accommodate several T-slots for holding the work and work holding machine or (i.e. jigs and fixtures).
- The table can be fulfilled by hand or by power.To move the table by hand, employ and turn the lengthwise hand crank. To move it through power, employ the lengthwise guidance feed control lever.
It is the shaft which is used to hold and drives the cutting tools of the milling machine.
- Spindle is mounted on the bearings and supported by the column.
- Spindle is driven by the electric motor through gear trains. The gear trains are now within the column.
- The top of the spindle which deception near to the table has an internal decrease machined on it. The internal decrease at the front face of the spindle boost only tapered cutter holder or axle. It has two keys at the front face which provides positive drive for the cutter holder or arbor.
- The draw bolt and jam nut is used to secure the holder and arbor in the spindle.
Over Arm / Overhanging Arm
It is a horizontal beam present at the top face of the column. It may be a individual casting which slides on the dovetail action now on the top face of the column.
- The overarm is used to fastened arbor support. It may consist of one or two cylindrical bars which slide through the holes in the column.
It is a casting with bearing that supports the outer end of the arbor. It also helps in aligning the outer end of the axle with the spindle.
- It keep from happening the springing of outer end of the axle during cutting operations.
- There are commonly two types of axle supports used in the milling machine.
- The axle support has an oil reservoir that lubricates the bearing surfaces. It can be clamped anyplace on the overarm. The axle support is used only in the horizontal types of milling machine.
The command arm in the steep machine is called ram. One end of the ram is mounted on the top of the column and on the other end milling head is attached.
- The ram can be a moved transversely ( in and out) on the column by a hand lever.